Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Quiet Time


I've always tried to set early morning appointments with God and keep them just like I'd keep an appointment to see a doctor or get my hair cut.  I have to admit that at times, I fail.  I let the alarm snooze so many times that I'm rushing to get the girls out the door in the morning.  On weekends, I figure I'll sleep in and catch up with God later in the day.  You know how that goes.  It's helpful to remember this isn't just any appointment...its a meeting with the creator and ruler of our universe.  He is there even if I'm not!  Its the most important part of my day.

During the school year, my quiet time is easy because I have a plan.  My BSF homework and praying for my group, family, and friends fills that time quickly.  But during the summer I struggle.  I do so much better when I am in a weekly bible study that provides a plan.  I've been a little anxious about going thirsty for His word this summer when BSF ends.  I recently attended a seminar on Personal Quiet Time and thought it was so helpful.  Now I have a plan for summer and I'm so excited to share it with you!

First, lets start with a super practical tip- get a basket and have it waiting in whatever place you like to meet with God.  Mine is the dining room table.  Fill the basket with everything you will need so you aren't running around the house at 5:30 am looking for everything.  A Bible, notebook, prayer requests, pens, highlighters, etc.  After the seminar, I added notecards and stamps to my basket.  I'm constantly thinking of notes that I want to send sweet people who have touched me in some way but never get around to it.  Now, when they come to mind during prayer, I can immediately write a quick note. 

Pick a chapter of the Bible to study.  We are studying Matthew in BSF but I just added Psalms for my personal study.  Every day I am reading 1 Psalm.  Most of them are short so its perfect for a supplement to my BSF study.  During the summer I'll read 2-3 a day.

Ok- moving on to the method.  There are 3 steps: Read, Reflect, Respond.

Grab your coffee and start with prayer.  Always pray for God to remove distractions and allow you to focus on Him and His Word and reveal whatever He wants to teach you that day.

1. Read- Read the passage slowly 1-2 times.  Write down key words, phrases, and words describing God and His character.

2. Reflect- Ask God to help you answer the following questions.  What does this passage teach about God's character?  What does the passage teach about His people (you and me)?
Write down your answers and any other thoughts about the passage. 

3. Respond- How can you take action and apply what the passage has taught you?  Write a prayer about what is on your heart after studying the passage.  Pray the words of the passage back to God.  Tell Him how you plan to apply His word that day.

I hope this has been helpful to you!  Please let me know if you learned anything new or if you have any questions!  I'm so thankful that I was able to attend the seminar and hope you are also blessed by this method!

1 comment:

Natalie said...

I am blessed by this, you, and your friendship! Thanks for the tips. Regular morning quiet times were one of the best (and most difficult to make a habit) things I ever started! Hoping to be able to attend some seminars next year when the kids are old enough to not be terrorists through them :/