Thursday, April 3, 2014

Redeemed


As Easter approaches, I hear Jesus' voice reminding me day by day, minute by minute, that I am  redeemed.  Purchased.  Set free. 
 
Set free from the sin that weighs me down.  From the ugly parts of my life that I don't want people to see.  My selfishness.  My fear.  My lack of compassion.  My impatience.  My flesh.

Jesus came to this world with one mission- to save us from death.  To bring His people into the Kingdom of Heaven.  To bring me into His Kingdom.
 
All along I've had this "Superman" mentality of Jesus.  On a mission to save His people. 
 
Driven.  Strong.  Supernatural.  Heroic.  Powerful.  Miraculous.
 
But in Matthew 26, I see Jesus in a whole new way.  I see the fullness of His humanity.  His sorrow.  His pain.  His loneliness.  His flesh.

Facing betrayal and death on a cross, Jesus cried out to His Father.  Begging for mercy, He fell with His face to the ground and prayed, "My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me.  Yet not as I will, but as you will." 
 
Overwhelmed with sorry, He prayed again, "My Father, if it is not possible for this cup to be taken away unless I drink it, may your will be done." 
 
Blood dripped from Jesus' pores.
 
My Jesus.  Crying in the garden.  Sweating blood.  Facing death on a cross- for me. 
 
And you. 
 
Ultimately submitting to His Father's will and crucifying His own. 
 
He paid it all.  He gave it all for me.  All to Him I owe.
 
I've been set free.

No comments: